Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

When in reverse or turning the car pops and sometime sounds

Customer Question

When in reverse or turning the car pops and sometime sounds like a chain dragging
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 3-4 months my mechanic thought it was the shocks popping but I replaced the shocks and its still doing it
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2000 mercury mountaineer 4wheel drive v8
JA: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No my mechanic said I could take the front driveshaft out or replace the transfer case
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You need to have the mechanic drive the vehicle in the air and use a stethoscope to listen to where the noise is coming from. This could be a front axle, driveshaft, transfer case chain noise. Hard to say without me actually hearing the noise for myself.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.