Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. On starting an alarm goes off

Customer Question

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. On starting an alarm goes off causing the horns to honk for about 30 seconds or so. Then it stops for about 5-10 seconds and it starts over again. What causes this and how can I stop it?
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: I'm not sure. This is my Dad's car but I will go out and try it. We brought it home last night and I have to pull the horn fuse to stop it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I can I'll fix it myself. Our friends are buying the car and I would like to solve the problem before they take the car. So far I've tried pushing every button on the key fob and nothing helps. Looked around the dash for any buttons that needed resetting. Looked through the owners manual. No solution so far.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of . Even though it is a 2004 it has less than 34,000 miles on it. No accidents.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like there is an additional alarm added to the vehicle. Look under the driers side of the dash and look for a black box zip tied to the dash brace and a small red flashing light.