david craig
david craig,
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 97 grand marquis, I purchased it used 6 months ago

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 97 grand marquis, I purchased it used 6 months ago with 63,000 original miles. I have an intermittent stalling issue, especially when wet out, but only while either coming to a stop, or coasting/idling in gear. I can keep it from stalling by shifting into neutral and revving the engine. Once I've done that if I shift back into drive, it will stay running for the duration of the light. However it never stalls while in park. It has new plugs and wires since December '15, new IAC & IAC solenoid/motor since January '16, new MAF sensor since march '16, and new coils this month.
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: Never right after starting, it does sometimes choke itself instead of revving after starting, but it very quickly corrects itself. It does sometimes jerk while accelerating if it has tried to stall while idling.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself, but will go to a mechanic if need be. Because of the stalling while raining, I replaced the ignition coils as they were the only original iparts left in the ignition system. *new plugs and wires were already installed.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It will always start back up after stalling.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David. let try this. pull the egr valve off. that thing get clogged up with carbon deposits. and when there is humidity/moisture in the air it even clumps together more clogging up the passages. take a small bristle brush and rag, with some brake parts cleaner and clean out the passages on the valve and where it mounts to really really good. see if that helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok will do.

keep me posted.thanks

any progress??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had the entire fuel system cleaned, which included the ever system. That seems to have solved the problem.

glad to hear it. please rate my service as its the only way i get credit for my assistance. thank you and have a good night.