Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

98 mercury mountaineer- occassionaly when i apply the brake

Customer Question

98 mercury mountaineer- occassionaly when i apply the brake it will "lunge" forward- This has only happened when i go into a parking space- at a slow speed- it has never happened when i stop at a stop sign at a "fast" speed. I recently had the rear brakes/pads replaced-front were ok- all fluids were checked and good
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This has happened once in 2 months- has not lhappened since rear brakes were replaced- just anxious about it happening again
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.

Hi there.

The "lunging" is the result of the transmission going bad - slipping when line pressure is low. You might be able to get by as is for a while, but it will eventually fail. This condition can be confirmed and repaired at any qualified transmission shop.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an appointment with a transmission specialist on Aug. 6th- until then I won't know how to rate your advice.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

My goal is to give you the best advice I can based on my knowledge and experience with vehicles such as yours. How you value that advice is entirely up to you.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm at Aamco- they said that the lunging is possible due to the fact that all my tires need to be the same size- front tires matched to the rear- I'm having fluid changed

This post has timed out. I'll opt out so others can help you.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?