HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

CN YOU help me find a new piece of the wiring harness which

Customer Question

CN YOU help me find a new piece of the wiring harness which connects to the Transmission for my 1997 cougar? Old one has melted wires that I tried to repair but car won't run
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, what exactly do you need? An internal trans wiring part? External harness off the transmission?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
An External harness off the transmission.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The connector that I robbed from a similar wiring harness has 9 wires connected to it --which I spliced into my wiring harness, replacing the burned up connector. Six of the nine wires had unique colors/stripes on them and were easy to accurately splice. The three remaining wires were all solid red and a thicker gauge wire. It was hard to be sure on these wires if I spliced to the exact red wire in my wiring harness. (Does it matter?)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should my next step be to completely test the wiring harness using a schematic diagram, or would it be easier to get another piece of the wiring harness which matches the one I have?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Yes it does matter, this is the transmission bulkhead main connector?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know. when the splicing didn't seem to solve the problem, my mechanic suggested getting an electronic component from a wrecking yard that was blue, rectangular, a little bigger than a deck of cards, thinking that it might have been damaged by a voltage/amperage surge along the way. The part I brought back actually made the car run worse when it was installed.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Ok Im confused. Do you need to perform a wiring repair or change some sort of other part?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need to know if there is a source for replacing the section of the wiring harness I have, which seems to be the problem. If no source exists, I will need to know where I can get get a schematic for the piece I have so that I can check it, wire by wire, for continuity/resistance I guess.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

I can provide a wiring schematic, but I need to know what section you need to repair

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will go to the transmission shop that has the car and ask them to remove the piece of the harness. Then I can give you a part number or at least the description that they give me as to which section it is. Is there more than one section that attaches to the transmission?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Very good. For the transmission controls, no. There are some external sensors and controls. So I need more specific information.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I don't see any part number on it anymore, but I could send you a picture.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Ok I see what you are working with and where you tried to repair the transmission bulkhead connector. Are you having an issue with matching up the wiring for the bulkhead to be wired correctly?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I may have made an error splicing the 3 red wires onto the connector.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

See if this helps, this is the transmission connector and pins, colors of the circuits which should match coming off the main harness.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I need the wiring schematic so that I can trace the three red wires to their proper connection in one of the other plugs in this harness
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Here is the schematic that goes to the bulkhead connector.