Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Well I was driving at about 55-60 mph when I first noticed

Customer Question

Well I was driving at about 55-60 mph when I first noticed the engine jump/ lurch; and I started slowing down even when pushing the gas pedal. A couple seconds after that the wrench symbol came on right before cut off and started shaking. After that I turned it off and restarted it after a couple minutes.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

If the wrench light came on it means there is going to be a code stored, we need the code to diagnose this. You could get a free scan at any auto parts store. Let me know what you come up with.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.... Well I was driving at about 55-60 mph when I first noticed the engine jump/ lurch; and I started slowing down even when pushing the gas pedal. A couple seconds after that the wrench symbol came on right before cut off and started shaking. After that I turned it off and restarted it after a couple minutes.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

You could have a misfire causing the lack of power/ jump. This could be caused by a lot of different things, coil pack, vacuum leak, sensor problem. The first step is to get the codes.