Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

I have a 99 Mercury Sable. It's my uncle's car that his wife

Customer Question

I have a 99 Mercury Sable. It's my uncle's car that his wife takes him around on,he's disabled and I'm just trying to help them out.I have been trying to figure it out for over 2 weeks now . Don't know if I done something wrong or something just stopped on its own . At first the compressor was blowing out hot air then it stopped working. Tried to put freon in the car and compressor never came on so I used a paperclip to jump it to make compressor kick on.That may have been a no no. When I did that the blower motor in the car stopped working. If I jump the relays while they're in the relay box everything will work but nothing will work on its own. Also I noticed that I cannot reset the control in the dashboard
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 10 months ago.

Check the main a/c fuse as well as the blower motor fuse in the main fuse panel, in jumping the system you may have created a short and blew the fuses, if fuses are ok, check power to control head if power there check ground if both are present then the control head needs to be replaced. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your answer but All fuses and relays are good. the compressor and blower motor is getting power.I have checked the wires going to the fuse/relay box and the wires going to the air compressor and blower motor and they are getting power but for some reason something is not telling them to come on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This Sable has the EATC dashboard and I've noticed that I cannot reset or get any codes from it as I have done on another Sable previously. So I'm thinking is the control unit itself but I wanted to be for sure before I went and tried to find one or worse case end up having to buy a new one

If all power and grounds are good then unfortunately you will have to replace the EATC control head. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. The Eatc Powers on,so I assume it's good but how do I check as you say,the ground? Also,would it mean that the Eatc bad because it won't pull up any codes or reset?

You will need a wiring diagram, and a good scanner, the fact that it powers up is reason to believe ground is good, but the fact that it won't function properly, giving codes, reset etc. indicates that the control head is most likely failed and the root of your issue.Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.