Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

It keeps saying AWD disabled and advtrac is off. Also sounds

Customer Question

It keeps saying AWD disabled and advtrac is off. Also sounds and feels like the front wheels get locked up. Has a flashing AWD lock light also
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: AWD lock light, im not sure exactly. And it never stays on steady, just blinks a lot
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2005 mercury mountaineer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, and nothing yet, it just started a couple of days ago
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It happens everytime you start to drive forward.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Is your vehicle AWD all the time or is there a switch on the dash to change from auto4x4 to 4high, 4low?

Are all 4 tires the same brand, size, age, and tread depth?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's awd all the time. And yes the tires are all the same

It looks like in your case, prior to doing diagnostics to see which codes are stored, there is a wheel speed sensor issue causing the AWD to engage and this is resulting in the transfer case overheating. Resulting in the warning your getting. Step one will be to scan it for codes and address those codes. More than likely its just a speed sensor reading wrong and to blame for all of this.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris