K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have cool air coming from the rear ac vents but the air in

Customer Question

I have cool air coming from the rear ac vents but the air in the front is still hot
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The unit has a good charge on it too
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is usually caused by a bad orifice tube. The orifice tube creates the pressure drop in the front and a seperate expansion valve does it in the rear.

To replace the orifice tube the system will have to be evacuated. The tube is located in the evaporator core inlet (small metal line) The tube itself only costs around 3-5 dollars and labor time to swap it out is .6jr [lus evac and recharge time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can i recover the fresh charge and where exactly is this orfice so that i can clean or replace it?

Recovery requires a recovery and recycle machine which you'll need to see a shop for. As per EPA regulations it's illegal to vent refrigerants to the atmosphere.

You'll have to replace the eube as the screen and orifice are so small it just cant be cleaned. All parts stores wil have the tube.

I'm going to post a ling to a video belowo n it being changed on a freestar (same as villager) since for doesn't publish a good diagram for it. Click HERE for video