Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I was driving home the other day went to kick down to pass

Customer Question

I was driving home the other day went to kick down to pass and the engine just reved and I lost pretty much all power. had to pull over and barely made it off the freeway. Had it towed to my house and when I start it reverse works fine. but after placing it in drive or 1st or 2nd it will eventually catch but it takes a while and it doesnt go very fast
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: flucuates
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 01 grand marquis
JA: What year is your Grand Marquis?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im hoping to fix it myself and havent tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: about 2 months ago I changed the transmission fluid and filter. Even the fluid in the torque converter.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Can you check the fluid now compared to new fluid, is the color no longer ruby red and is there any sign of odor?

When you kicked down from OD to 3rd. The direct clutch 3rd gear is a very common failure in the 4R70 transmission. Since you now have concerns on take off it looks like the forward clutch is damaged as well. Even before diagnostics I am very confident an overhaul is going to be needed from your symptoms.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris