A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

I have a 2010 mariner that will not start, the pats light

Customer Question

hello I have a 2010 mariner that will not start , the pats light flashes fast when you try to start ,I have power at the starter relay blu-red and gy-vt no ground from the ecm at the yellow wire ,it appears that the ecm is at fault but I am unfamiliar with the smart junction box function.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: hello I have a 2010 mariner that will not start , the pats light flashes fast when you try to start ,I have power at the starter relay blu-red and gy-vt no ground from the ecm at the yellow wire ,it appears that the ecm is at fault but I am unfamiliar with the smart junction box function.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Mercury?
Customer: 98k mariner was fine until battery got weak then failed to start ,battery replaced and pats light flashing ,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes have electrical exp just no trouble tree,checked circuits stated earlier, no ground from pcm
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

How many keys do you have for the Mariner?
Have you checked for trouble codes in the PATS key system or any other module in the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have 2 keys 1 is factory with buttons and other is chip key only ,my scanner only has ecm abs capability, no pats..no codes

Does the THEFT light flash rapidly for both keys?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

There is either a problem with the PATS system or the keys. Your scan tool/code reader you have may not be able to get all the codes. You will need to be able to get trouble codes from the instrument cluster which has the PATS module incorporated into it.