Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

2007 montego tail light out. Instead of costly repair I see

Customer Question

2007 montego tail light out. Instead of costly repair I see some people are replacing with a ford 500 tail light. Only difference is that montego has a 5 wire harness and 500 has a 4 wire. How can you adjust the harness to make it work.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what year of the ford 500 they are using this light from so I can check some diagram info?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Both vehicles are 2007. Everything fits perfectly if I can only figure out the wiring since the montego has a 5 wire harness and 500 has a 4 wire. So if you can let me know how I can adjust the harness to make it work, I will be good to go
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,let me look into this and I will post back here shortly.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,the montego has an additional wire for turn and stop meaning it must use two lights for turn and stop in the rear when the ford only uses one.

Do you have the actual light to see if it plugs in the same at all?

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

You can leave out the wire in terminal 2 I believe from what I can tell which is the white wire with red stripe and see if this works.If it doesnt put it back in and leave out the tan wire with light blue stripe in terminal 3 and see if all lights then work.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have everyting in front of me. I did try jumping the 2 and 3 pin together, the brake light and turn signal are combined into one wire on the 500, and everything works except when you have the brake light, tail light, and then use the turn signal, you can barely see the turn signal.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Have you tried to remove pin 2 or 3 and see if it works with one removed at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I will try that now. When I don't do anything, everything but the brake light works.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

If you have and this did not work you will need a light converter installed.These are used to convert a 3 to a*****you can wire in 2 and 3 to the converter and only have one coming out for the light,this is usually for trailers but will work on your model here.You will need to wire it accordingly per the instructions on the box and wire the vehicle harness into it then the exit harness from the converter needs wired to the light assembly.

1 reverse

2 turn/stop

3 turn/stop

4 park

6 ground

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This sounds confusing. Is it easy to hook up? It will need to be wired to both light assemblies?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

You will need one for each light assembly and is fairly easy to hook up.It will come with instructions on which wire wires to which on and out of the converter.This is why I posted the info on the terminals for each wire on what it does on your model so you can wire it in.You can also usually purchase this from a local parts store but will need one for each side for a total of 2 of these.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doesn't sound easy at all. Someone did this several years back and posted that he did it with minor wiring needed. He also gave a total price and that would not include another $60 for two convertors. Is there any other solution?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The only other option I see is to remove one of the wires #2 or #3 one at a time and check for proper operation.Other then this the only other way is the converter option.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Removing 2 just eliminates the turn signal, since it is the turn signal wire. Removing 3 would not do anything as there is nothing in 3 now on the ford 500 tail light assembly, and that is the problem.Can the problem be something to do with the montego light using led so their isn't as much power going to the 500 assembly?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The LED can make a difference.I have dealt with several models that had LED lights and the LED circuit wasnt correct or enough to light standard lights or operate some of them properly.This may be the cause here.But the only other way would be to try one of the converters to see if that works unfortunately.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you tried, but according to the post(s) I read, there is a simple wiring solution and you aren't able to come up with that solution. Someone else told me about the convertor thing before but when I looked into it then, it didn't sound like the simple solution that was noted in the posts and one that was more costly. If I have to buy the convertors, it wouldn't save me anymore than buying a used montego tail light assembly.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can help further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess it doesn't hurt to open it up.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?