Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Very stiff steering on my 2001 grand marquis. when at high

Customer Question

Very stiff steering on my 2001 grand marquis. when at high idle it eases up but not much. just replaced gear box, ps pump, pressure line, pitman arm.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 147000 kms/91000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: steering gear box, pump, pressure line, and pitman arm just replaced today. it was performing better with the older parts on.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: all steering connections have been lubricated, when hosted up steering turns freely
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Were these repairs done in hopes of addressing this issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
took the car to a friend mechanic, all parts were replaced accordingly, no leaks were detected. When running the engine, can see the pump circulating the fluid, however, when revving up, can hear whining same sound when ps fluid is low.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With older parts installed, steering was sticking less, however, when I would make a turn physically had to center the steering wheel as it did not on its own. And after the parts were replaced, the stiff steering got worse.

Is your car equipped with electronic variable assist power steering?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure. Everything looks mechanical, however, only 1 plug connecting to the power steering pump. No other sensors or connectors.

Last question since you do have EVO steering since there is a plug. Do you have air suspension?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No air suspension. As mentioned when idling hi, I can hear whining sound same sounds when ps reservoir is low

As long as the whine and lack of assist are not from a aftermarket pump with low pressure. That means the diag steps in the links below need to be done.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/EVOtest.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/tests.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris