Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

My 2002 Sable 3.0L DOHC the engine turn over, I can hear the

Customer Question

My 2002 Sable 3.0L DOHC the engine turn over, I can hear the fuel pump kick in then kick out when I stop turning the ignition, but the engine won't start. I a similar problem with a Saturn a few years, that ended up being a blown fuse for the EGR Valve (not knowing if this Sable has something equivalent to the Saturn's EGR valve) so I checked all my fuses in both fuse compartments & they are all good. What else should I be checking?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it cranks and wont start?? Will it run for a few seconds if you spray carb cleaner into the intake? Does the red THEFT lamp flash fast when you turn the key to the on position?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The THEFT lamp does not flash fast with the ignition on, it is on steady like all my other indicator lights. I have not sprayed carb cleaner into the intake as I do not have any on hand.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok you say you hear the fuel pum kick on. Do you have fuel pressure at the rail and ignition spark? Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on and goes out when cranking? The THEFT light comes on steady and goes out within a few seconds of the key being turned to on?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  john aka eauto replied 3 months ago.

do you need help?