Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

I have a 99 mystique and the dash instrument all quit

Customer Question

I have a 99 mystique and the dash instrument all quit working. I shut it off and started up and they start working again . Now they all shot off and they won't come back on is that the instrument cluster needing to be replaced? Ray
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your Mystique?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, and I have looked for the cluster at scrap yards and have had no luck. I checked the voltage at the battery and it was 12.4 before starting. I started it and it didn't change which Leeds me to be leave that it's not charging. But when I shut it off and start it and the guages start working again then it is over 14 v at battery which leade me to be the altinator is working. I think tat there is something wrong with the cluster. Am I close? I have removed the cluster.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Ray, I would start with doing two things, first since you have the cluster out check and see if you are getting power and ground to the cluster while the problem is occurring and while doing so scan the computer system to see if there are any fault code setting in the computer system. I have enclosed the wiring diagrams for the cluster in the link below to check power and ground. One other thing to check is to make sure the key and tumbler is returning to the run position once you start the car and not sticking . If you find power and ground at the cluster and its still not working then I would suspect the problem is with the cluster. I have enclosed a source in the the third link where you can send the cluster and have it tested.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ron, thank you for your response. Yesterday I went on a salvage yard search for a cluster. I took my cluster with me and found several clusters but non just like mine. So I returned and put it back in the car and it is now working and I checked battery voltage and it was charging. I will have the computer checked for any codes it may have. Two question, If I replace the cluster, does it have to be identical to the one I took out? I have been told some contours will work. Could it be the ignition?Thanks, Ray
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Ray if you replace it it will need to be the same year , make and model. And if the ignition (key and tumbler) sticks and dose not return back to the run position it sure could cause this so be sure to check it as well.