Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

I just bought a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer which has been

Customer Question

I just bought a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer which has been taken extremely good care of since it was new. However the air conditioner is giving me fits. The air coming out of the vents on 'Max A/C' varies from cool to EXTREMELY HOT... Much hotter than ambient air. It's as if air is blowing across the heater core instead of the AC evaporator. The low side of the line as it re-enters the compressor is cool/cold (sweating).There are occasions, however, when the AC seems to work almost normally, this usually when the car is cruising at 40-60 mph.The refrigerant system was a little low on Freon, and I added enough to bring the low side pressure within range, but after I realized that the compressor intake was cool/cold, decided that there must be another problem besides refrigerant charge.Can anyone help?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello David and thank you for your question,

The common cause for the type of problem you are having is in most cases cause by a failing blend door actuator . The blend door actuator control the air coming through the AC evaporator and heater core . That being said I would test it to be sure before replacing any parts to be sure the signal is getting to it from the control panel. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below for the testing as well as replacement.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You having seen this dozens if not hundreds of times, in the worst case scenerio, in your estimation, how much would a good mechanic charge to fix it?I try to avoid dealers because they've got too much overhead and makes their labor rates kind of pricey. On the other hand, I don't deal with shade tree mechanics. I don't mind paying for good work... But I want to feel like I'm being treated fairly and charged for work that I need. I've had more than my share of 'parts changers' who put on one part and if that doesn't fix it, charge for and put on another till they finally hit upon the right diagnosis. Or even worse, those who pretend to be 'parts changers' and charge for work not even done.With your guidance, I think I can avoid both.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The blend door actuator is the common cause but in some cases it can also be a problem with the door its self. If in fact the actuator is at fault your looking at about $85 for a new actuator and right at 2 hours to remove and replace it. That being said , I would have them do the testing to be sure and that will usually run you about another hour in labor. The dealer is a little pricier but in the long run have plenty of experience with this type of problem and would be my first choice to make this repair.