Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair

2000 Mercury Mountaineer a/c blows cold while idling or at

Customer Question

2000 Mercury Mountaineer a/c blows cold while idling or at low speeds, but under acceleration and/or highway speeds it blows hot. I've pulled the actuator door out and it's working. I've also put a new one on to confirm they are moving the same directions on the same temperatures. I ran the self test you described and no error codes come up. Any thoughts about this?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Cary York replied 3 months ago.

Has anything been done to the Freon level? How long have you owned the vehicle? Have you can A/C problems in the past?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not had the Freon levels checked lately. I've owned the vehicle since January 2006. Only A/C problem in the past was a failed actuator door.

Is the compressor any noisier than normal?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't seem to be noisier. It's always had a slight ticking sound when the A/C is running, but does not seem to have gotten worse.

What happens if you are sitting at idle and A/C is cold, then you turn the temp up. Will it get hot at idle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when sitting at idle and the temperature is turned up to hot the air does blow hot.

I believe you have a pressure issue. If the Freon level has not be changed I would suspect a component failure. Does not sound like low Freon level. Sounds like clogged orifice tube. Possibly caused by failing compressor. Are you planning on fixing yourself? If so you will need a set of A/C gauges. Once you get some A/C gauges we can talk by phone.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't ever tried to mess with any of the A/C stuff that requires a gauge, but I might go get a set of them and give it a shot. If it's clogged orifice, does the system have to be de-pressurized or is it something that can be cleared using a procedure with the gauges?

You would have to break the system open. You would lose the Freon and you would have to recharge it. But if I had gauge readings I could give you a better idea of what's happening.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thank you.

Please leave a rating of your experience. Thank You