rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid would not start this morning.

Customer Question

Hi! My 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid would not start this morning. Has been running fine prior. Several of the dash lights on bottom left and bottom right are on and anti-theft is on or blinking. Airbag light is on at the top. Headlights do not work at all. Horn does work. I just had the left front headlight bulb replaced a few weeks ago and they told me they had to remove the battery to get to it. Are there certain connections on the battery I should check? Thanks!
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine does not turn over at all. Original battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I used the spare key but didn't work either. I opened the hood and looked at the battery, but not sure what to look for. I also had the multi point inspection done a few weeks ago and the battery tested fine. Remote door locks would not work at first, but do now. Tried locking and letting sit 15 minutes, then unlocking and starting, but no luck.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Try this first, what I attached for you. if it DOES NOT work, then you need to hook up a scan tool to reset the security system.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, I will try this. How do I know which battery terminal is the negative one? (please don't laugh - ha!)
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Negative is usually black and it is also marked on the battery.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me in case you need me again later on and so i can get credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Definitely. I appreciate your help! Hoping this will work...
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

You bet, thank you too.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, I gave up on that idea :( The air hose is blocking the negative battery terminal so I wasn't able to remove it. I have a call into the dealer that performed the work last month, so I'm hoping they can help me. Thanks!
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Okay, please don't forget to rate me for my time, i don't get credit for helping you until you do:)

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, thanks.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Great, thank you too.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

The rating hasn't come through yet, all you need to do is rate me 4 or 5 stars:)

thanks again, Ron