Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

My 1992 Tracer sputtered when I started it and CHECK ENGINE

Customer Question

Hi-- my 1992 Tracer sputtered when I started it and CHECK ENGINE symbol appeared??? Car has 1 yr old battery, newly rebuilt fuel lines when bottom exploded and another $800 repairs. How serious is this and can I drive it?? I could look in engine but wouldn't know what looking at (am very senior woman). Can you help me please?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The check engine light comes on when the computer system sees a fault and when this happens the compute will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is causing this you are going to need to have the computer system scanned and the fault code retrieved. Once you have the fault code the it can be addressed from there. In the mean time its should be fine to drive the car as long as you are not having any running issue. If you need more help with this post back and we can work from there.