Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Ndh ahh sjdnf, Awe mountain prob with vibration while turn

Customer Question

Ndh ahh sjdnf
JA: What year is your Sedan?
Customer: Awe mountain prob with vibration while turn could be something simple
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 02
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Different tread on front then the back. Took drive shaft off and made no difference also change fluid rear differential and trans case
JA: How many miles are on the car? When was your last oil change?
Customer: 106xxxrecently changed oil
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

I am saying sorry for the delay as a blanket response for all others online today that passed on helping on this concern. I just go in recently and caught up and am now checking on the long waiting customers first. Do you still need help?

Can I get the make and model and a better explanation on the issue your trying to address?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
02 mountaineer awd. Problems is that so far it's a mystery. I got it almost 3 wks ago it seemed like it ran perfect no noise at all. Then one day later it started making a vibration/rubbing noise in the back. At first it was when I turned right. Slow when my wheel was turned around 15% . I was told that its the wheel wheel barring changed that and didnt take the noise away except now it seems like the right side. Took it to the shop on the hoist he tried spinning each wheel in neutral. Three of them would roll but back right wouldn't budge. He took off the transfer case changed back diffrential fluid and he said that it was stuck in "all wheel drive" Fuel system cleaner. It has p245/70 r16 107s on the back and 245/70 r16 106s the front. The tread pattern is seminal but not exactly. They seem to be maybe an 8th in. Depth difference. There's some oil looking stuff on the valve housing* assuming it oil but possible front diffrential? I honestly got scammed an he got a truck worth 7000 for this and being a female fell in live with look and comfort. I don't have the money to guess i need help my mechanic is stuck trasfer case. But no popping or ringing noise. Now he said it's the drive shaft and it's already messed up in the rear end and if he put the shaft back in an I drove it that it would tear everything up worse. It's only a sound like something is rubbing but not metal or grinding the gear lube didn't show any signs of bad. Recently it starting shifting hard. Auto with 106???

Thanks for the details.

Step one with the vehicle off the ground use a nylon tape measure and measure the circumference of all tires. On an AWD vehicle your highest reading needs to be only a 1/4 inch difference from the lowest reading. If its greater this will cause the transfer case viscous coupling to wear out. Since it is trying to make the front and rear axles go the same speed. One tire larger around than another means the gear ratio will be different because a tall tire will travel farther than short tire if both are rolled one revolution.

Step two drive around 45-55 mph swerve aggressive but safe to see of you get a hum noise that comes and goes. If so then a wheel bearing is bad.

Step three, if there is a transfer case issue, drive with the front driveshaft removed. If the concern is gone, then the concern is related to the AWD system.

Step four drive slow and in tight turns like in a parking garage, if you get a binding, chatter, vibration, groan, moan type noise then suspect the rear axle limited slip clutches in the rear differential binding and grabbing to much.

For the harsh shift have the intermediate and overdrive bands adjusted externally then service the fluid. If it continues then replace the transmission solenoid body.

Please make sure to select a rating from the top of your screen prior to logging off so the post does not time out.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Removing the shaft didn't change it. I changed the fluid in back difrential. It looked almost new still? I was also told if it was the differential it would occur during deceleration and or acceleration. (I added the friction modifier) could it changed more then once. Also tranny will be flushed next. Would conditioner help a bad band? I have heard too that it is common for parking brake and cause issues and grabbing? Oh ya and only does it at 10 mph and after I drove it for 30+ min. Or why would one wheel spin while hoisted? Time it sounds like this truck severe isses.

Conditioner like LUBEGARD will not hurt the transmission.

If the parking brake were stuck applied the vehicle would be very hard to drive since it would be pulling to one side and the wheel would get very hot.

With the vehicle off the ground the only things that can prevent a wheel from spinning by hand are the caliper locked up, parking brake damaged, or bad wheel bearing.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
would brake caliper make it sound like a vibration when slowly turning after its been drove 15 min or so. That's the only time I hear a noise. And it made no difference when I took the drive shaft off. So does that mean its ok and I should put it back on?

No the brake caliper would not make the noises and vibrations you have described. With the driveshaft out that leaves the AWD not to blame, leaving the rear axle limited slip clutches.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we measured the tires and they are about 1 1/4 in bigger in the back then the front. They are 245/70 r16 on the front and p245/70 r16 how would the effect the clutches

Tire circumference issues will only accelerate AWD wear and tear, it will not effect the limited slip clutches.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do i do to fix that? I already changed the fluid in rear differential

You would remove the rear axle housing, take the cover off, remove the ring gear and differential. Then replace the clutches.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will a bad drive shaft cause the issue that I'm having in my differential

No a driveshaft failure would not cause the symptoms you have described. A driveshaft out of balance or one with a bad joint would cause a vibration to occur at all speeds above about 30 mph.