Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

I just had a oil level sensor replaced in my truck dollars.

Customer Question

Hello I just had a oil level sensor replaced in my truck for 400 dollars. But still did not fixedly the problem of oil hand flickering back and forth
JA: What size is your engine? How many miles since your last oil change?
Customer: It's a v8 all wheel drive automatic
JA: What year is your V8?
Customer: Are u there
JA: No. I'm the Mercury Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Can u tell me anything
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mechanical
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes ever time I go over twenty Niles the oil hand just flickering all over the placeeven when I have it in idling. Had engine oil censor replaced at auto body shop he claimed he fixedly it but he did not
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Was this the oil level sensor or the oil pressure senor that you had replaced?

Was the engines oil pressure actually checked wet a manual gauge?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't no they had it at Monte's auto shop from 10:00 a.m. that morning to 6:00p.m. that evening the owner himself told me he drove it and it's not doing it any more .now they saying it may be a censor in the oil pan and they will give me fair price on that. Unbelievable. I no I need oil valve gasket cause they are leaking pretty bad.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Is it your oil pressure gauge that is fluctuating?

Also what year and model is your Truck and which V 8 are you running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
oil gauge that lets you no if it's high or low inside the dash board
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 2000 mercury mountaineer awd v8 automatic
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

You have an oil level sensor in the oil pan that reads oil level and this will not affect the Oil pressure gauge. The oil pressure gauge gets its reading from the oil pressure sending unit located on the engine. If this has not been replaced then its likely the cause, I would have them remove it and install a Manuel oil pressure gauge to make sure the engine had good oil pressure and if so suspect the sending unit is faulty.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay will that bother my engine with it running like that and how much that that run u at automatic shop cause I think these guys don't think they no what there doing. And should I have to pay again since they did not fix the problem that I asked them to fix
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

It will not bother the engine as long as the engine is not making any usual noises and as long as you have good oil pressure. You may be right about them not know what they are doing, this should not be that hard to fix for you. You should not have to pay again if you have paid for this repair again. This time its on them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What if they tell me no because this guy has worked with along time and I don't want to be a pest
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

You paid for the repair already for the same problem and its not fixed. This is one of those times you need to be a pest and insist on a proper repair or your money back.