Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

Quit while driving my 2001 Gran Marquis 4.6 liter. Replaced

Customer Question

quit while driving my 2001 Gran Marquis 4.6 liter. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Will start with throttle body cleaner then stalls. Check or replace what?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on the first two seconds the key is turned on?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
dont have great hearing so I cant hear the fuel pump, but I just replaced it
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Is there any way you can check/test fuel pressure or if any fuel is coming through from the fuel lines at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have a diagram or photo of fuel line removal from throttle body so I dont disconnect the wrong part. Wont take long to figure out that I am not very mechanically inclined. Can I disconnect the fuel line and try to start the car with the hose/line into a container?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

On top of the intake is your fuel rail and you should see a port like this in the diagram below with a schrader valve in it.In some cases you can press in on this valve covering it with a rag using eye protection with the key on to see if fuel sprays out.This is usually the easiest way.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the fuel rail chrome, does the schrader valve look like a valve stem with a cap on it?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Yes,it is in top of the engine and should look chrome.the valve should look similar to a tire valve.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got fuel out of the schrader valve. What else could it be?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please include photo or diagram for additional parts check
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I dont have the testing info on the fuel controls on this model here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

If the engine starts with TB cleaner, then the issue could be due to lack of fuel pressure or injector pulse.

Fuel pressure can be measured using a fuel pressure tester that can be borrowed from any major auto parts retailer - you'd be looking for at least 40 psi with the engine cranking.

Injector pulse can be tested with a Noid Light available at those same retailers for under $20. Just unplug an injector and plug in the Noid Light. You should see a bright steady flash while the engine is cranking.

Once we know for sure what's missing, we can then formulate a pinpoint diagnosis.