Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Blows engine module fuse as soon as turn switch on

Customer Question

blows engine module fuse as soon as turn switch on
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Do you know the fuse number and amp?

Are you able to do some electrical testing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
30 amp

None of the 30 amp fuses are for engine controls. Can you look at this diagram and tell me which fuse is failing?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/mystique.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is the 60 amp fuse. The kind were u can l look at top and tell if good or not. The fuse is yellow
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do u know which fuse I am talking about

Previously it was a 30 amp fuse failing, now it is a 60 amp fuse. You say its a a engine module fuse. There are 2 60 amp fuses #2 engine cooling fan and #3 ABS and Blower. With one of those is failing?

You can use the diagram I sent and tell me the fuse number which would help alot better.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fuse was 20 amp and it said it for engine module

Is it fuse 9

Please look at the file I sent and verify prior to me diagnosing this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fuse position number 9 . It is a 20 amp
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thanks, ***** ***** be easier to say what this circuit does not power. There are alot of things and wires to possibly blame.

1. Remove fuse 13 under the hood.
  2. Unplug everything on this page. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/greenyellow.pdf
  3. Unplug everything on this page https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/1314.pdf
  4. Try another PCM fuse.

If the fuse does not fail with the key on then start plugging in things one by one till the fuse fails, meaning that component is faulty. If the fuse fails with everything unplugged then there is a wire shorted to ground SOME WHERE. A more common short is the wiring to the O2 sensors, which your disabling in step one with fuse 13 removed.

Please make sure to select a rating from the top of your screen prior to logging off so the post does not time out.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris