Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I have a 2000 grand marquis and i was driving the other day

Customer Question

hello i have a 2000 grand marquis and i was driving the other day and all power stoped to everything in the car except the engine and today when i pulled into my driveway it did it again and this time i turned the car off and now it wont start?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

When you say everything stopped working did it seem like the dash was just going blank?

The engine ran ok until you turned it off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the speedometer stoped working and the abs light came on then when it started working again the abs light went off
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the engine ran ok until i turned it off
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could it be the ground to the car?
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I would be more suspect of a bad instrument cluster assembly. The instrument clusters on these cars go bad all of the time and the starting circuit depends on the cluster in order to allow the vehicle t start.

Will the engine crank at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it cranks but doesnt start just makes a clicking noise
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

When you turn the key to the on position does anything come on?

Gauges, headlights, radio, etc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would the instrument cluster cause the radio and all outer lights to stop working? headlights/taillights and even the turning signals stoped working also
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Is it possible that the battery is dead? I'm wondering if maybe the alternator went out and the battery died. That will sometimes cause the instrument panel to stop working while driving because it needs a constant voltage in order to operate correctly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
everything works until i try to turn it over
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I think your battery is dead or dying. My first suggestion would be to have it tested.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would jump starting the battery rule it out if it starts would that mean the alternator is probally bad?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it started up fine the last couple of days since it happened up until now it wasnt draging to start or anything
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

If you can get it to jump start, and then the car does out or the electronics start acting up once the jumper cables are removed then you most likely have an alternator problem. Both the alternator and battery can be tested fairly easily by most parts stores.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok im going to look into that right now and see what happens
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could it be a loose ground on the battery? i went to go clean the battery terminals while im waiting to jump start it and the ground on the battery was a little loose ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

A loose battery cable would cause the alternator to not charge correctly and would also cause a bad ground to just about everything that relies on a chassis ground to operate correctly. If it was loose enough I would say that is probably the problem.