Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Windows won't close, interior lights 't come on : yes :

Customer Question

windows won't close, interior lights don't come on
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: according to owners manual, there is a circuit breaker box & #52 controls windows; I found fuse box, but don't know where circuit breaker box is located, can you tell me?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses, don't seem to have an issue there. First thing that happened was when I tried to put windows up they didn't work, door locks work, then I noticed interior lights didn't work either.i
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: No issues that I am aware of, has over 170,000 miles on it, replaced brake and fan belt about a month ago. runs great and was driving it yesterday, when I got home, rain storm come up tried to close windows and they wouldn't work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model of this vehicle as well as engine liter size and I will see if I can locate this info for you here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mercury Mountaineer, 2003, 4.0L, V6 with 3rd seat (7 passenger SUV type wagon)
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Has anything after market been installed at all before this occurred like a remote start or alarm system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no add ones, just as car was manufactured.,
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,let me look at some info on this model and I will post back here shortly.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I dont see a circuit breaker in line for this model here for these components.I see some fuses and a relay.

Double check and make sure fuse 6 (60 amp) and fuse 47 (30 amp) are both o.k. in the battery junction box fuse panel.

In the central junction box fuse panel make sure fuse 17 (15 amp) is o.k. as well.

Locate the accessory delay relay in the central junction box fuse panel and tap on it to see if the windows and components start to operate again then.If they do then this relay needs replaced.

If these are all o.k. let me know.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

If these are all o.k. let me know if you have a test light or multi meter.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pete, Where is this Relay Box? According to owners manual #52 controls the power windows, I found fuse box under dash on left side of sterring wheel; but have not found the separate Relay Box.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The battery junction box is located under the hood as shown here

The central junction box is located under the dash on the drivers side and is shown here.You can see where the accessory delay relay is located in this diagram below.

Let me know if you locate any issues here at all.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete