Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Mecury Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Car starts then shortly after stalls and dies like its out

Customer Question

Car starts then shortly after stalls and dies like its out of gas... Then wont start again.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes, it turns over. Battey is strong
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Then engine cranks over fine, it act like it is flooded or out of gas. If it does start, it runs fine for a few minutes, then begins to stall out and die, it sounds and acts like it is out of gas... There is plenty of gas in tank.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Also, i checked the air filter, its fine. I was thiniking fuel pump issue or a sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: The amber engin light is on when it starts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 6 months ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Can i get the year model and engine size please. Also approx how many miles are on it

LJ

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mercury Sable 2003
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
90k miles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
24 valve overhead cam 3 liter

Thanks, ***** ***** minute to pull up the specs on this..be right back

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I check air filter to, its clean. Plugs are fine. I think its fuel pump or a sensor. Just wondering if another idea if i missed something. Unless you have a tip, i think im covered.

Thanks for the additional info

Yes, i does sound like a fuel pressure issue and the fuel pumps on these cars hardly never last past 90K miles. I would strongly suggest replacing it(at the very least its due) and also the fuel filter and i bet it takes care of it. We dealt with a lot of these cars doing the same thing and yous sure fits all the symptoms.

If you can have the pressure tested, it HAS to have between 40-60 psi or it wont support the injectors.

Any further questions just let me know otherwise a positive star rating is appreciated.

Larry

My goal is that you are pleased with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. You can still ask me questions for free after the rating.

If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.

Any further questions?

If not please use the stars to rate my service.

Thanks

Larry