Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I had a tire blow out last night and now my car won't start,

Customer Question

I had a tire blow out last night and now my car won't start, I've tried jump starting it and nothing. Reset the fuel switch and still won't work
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I turn the key and there's a click but nothing else
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jump starting it and the fuel switch
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: It's a 2010 mariner
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  ironmike replied 6 months ago.

greetings,

did you verify the battery has 12 volts? do you have a test light to check for power to the starter? does the starter make any noises when you turn the ignition key? does the security light flash no stop or stop flashing?

Expert:  ironmike replied 6 months ago.

If there is battery power to both terminals at the starter the start may have failed. Many times you can take a hammer and rap the starter/shock it and it will work a few more times. Even if the starter works after shocking it I still would recommend replacing it.

Expert:  ironmike replied 6 months ago.

Let me know what you find

Expert:  ironmike replied 6 months ago.

let me know what engine you have and I can tell you where the starter is located.