Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I have a 2000 mercury cougar that wont start i just put a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 mercury cougar that wont start i just put a new battery in and still nothing when i turn key i hear the starter engage but nothing after that
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** starter just click or does it actually turn over engine?Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does one click and makes a whinding down type of sound then nothing after that, also the needle on all of my gauges will rise then stay at the top of there limit
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

If it makes one click that is usually the symptom of a failed starter. Next step is to monitor power at both wires going to the starter while trying to start. Each wire should maintain at least 11v while trying to start, if so replace the starter. Let me know if yo have more questions or if there is anything else i can do to help. Thanks.