A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

2006 Mercury montego cvt. Can't find dip stick. Found a spot

Customer Question

2006 Mercury montego cvt. Can't find dip stick. Found a spot wee I think it should be front of teams but just a whole there. Under air filter about 2-3 inches above bottom of trans. Could it be missing. Trans has agrowling sound when in park. Goes away when in drive and moving. Could it be low on fluid
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to find dipstick but can't I think it's low
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: Hopefully not. I think it's miss dipstick and needs fluid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Can you give me the VIN#. Ford used 2 different transmission in the 2006 Montego.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok, you have the CVT Select Shift Transmission. Below is the location of the dipstick and how to check the fluid level.

Ford buried it under the air filter box on the drivers side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The dipstick is missing. Is that possible ?

It is possible. I have seen it before. There should be a dipstick in the tube bolted to the side of the transmission.