Randall, Mercury Technician
Experience:  32 years, ASE Master technician

96 base Grand Marquis 67k miles. A/C was working 2 days ago

Customer Question

96 base Grand Marquis 67k miles. A/C was working 2 days ago now the compressor is cycling. Any ideas?
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The compressor engages and then disengages every 5 or 10 seconds. It was working 2 days ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.
Hello, Ia m 98% you are low on freon ( R 134), When the freon level drops? the ac pressure switch is designed to cut compressor on and off as to not so damage to the compressor, I fully understand it was working but, also has low miles and over time some freon will weep out of the orings on the ac lines., Acturally sitting and not using ac is harder on the system than working it more often. hard to explain so.. on the drier under hood, near firewall, passenger side is the drier, On it is the charge fitting. You can go to any parts store , get a refill kit, they dont cost much, comeswith guage and instructions. Basically you hook up the hose from the can, run your ac, open the can valve and charge till in the green zone. I wanted to add, Most all the kist have a stop leak additive added to the freon which works really well to stop the slow leaks. I am thinking you are about 1/2 lb low on freon, Not uncommon at all,. here is a picture link of the drier showing the charge fitting
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** my guess but I wanted an expert's opinion. My experience has been with pre '70's GM products as well as being the mechanic for the fire department I worked for for almost 30 years. Thanks again, I'm going to give this a try.
Kevin Foley
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.
I am very confident it will work, Please leave feedback for my service provided and if you need me again? the post does not close, you can still come back with any followups. It will go just fine :)