Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

Neither of my keys will turn in my 2008 Mercury Montego. One

Customer Question

Neither of my keys will turn in my 2008 Mercury Montego. One key has rarely ever been used so it is not a worn out key issue. It is as though the steering wheel is locked, I insert the key easily but the key won't turn.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm parked at work and I'd like to get home so I'm looking for options to get the key to turn so I can get home.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: It is a very low mileage vehicle, less than 60,000 miles and has been well cared for, no problems except that suddenly the key won't turn in the ignition.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. If you man handle the steering wheel aggressively trying to turn it in both directions while wiggling the key to try and get it to turn, will it free up. If not can you set the parking brake and raise the front tires off the ground and try again. If that to fails then there is a failure of the ignition lock cylinder tumblers. If that is a repair you want to tackle, let me know so I can help. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris