Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist

My car overheated on the interstate I stopped and it wouldn't

Customer Question

my car overheated on the interstate I stopped and it wouldn't restart that was in the morning. that afternoon I went back and started it up and drove it about 2 miles and it stopped again. an hour later it started back up and I drove it a block to my shop. once I got it there I haven't been able to restart it
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I'm hoping to fix this myself
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I remove the thermostat and let the car cool completely down
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: 2002 Mercury Sable 3.0 V6
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.
Hello thanks for using JustAnswer!I am sorry to hear about your concern, driveability problems can be difficult to diagnose. I specialize in diagnostics, i will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible help that i can. Does the engine sound normal when trying to restart the engine? Was the vehicle low on coolant when you returned to the shop? Thanks Derek
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes it sounds normal, yes it was low
just replaced water pump, I took the thermostat out
was the vehicle running normally before it overheated.The head gaskets may have failed. A overheat condition can easily cause the head gaskets to fail. If the engine is full of coolant now and it overheats still i highly suspect you will need to change the headgaskets. To confirm this remove the spark plugs and look for water in the cylinders. Also remove the radiator cap or coolant resivore cap and start the engine, if you notice bubbles in the cooling system this confirms the failed head gaskets also. If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated, i will continue to work with you even after rated. I will get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.Derek
Hi, I am just checking back in to see if you have any other questions, if so i will be happy to help. I hope you are having a great day. Thanks Derek
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Water is coming out the tailpipe so it has a cracked head gasket
Ok this is what i suspected. If you need any other help please feel free to ask. Thanks Derek W