HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician

Mercury Mountaineer: I have a 2003 Mercury mountaineer and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mercury mountaineer and this morning when starting my vehicle my speedometer RPM gauge fuel gauge interior lights and radio would not come on. I have been having problems previously with a door ajar error it seem like it was shortening out and it wasn't even working. Do I have a blown fuse somewhere or could it be a bigger issue? Please help because I can't drive without my speedometer working.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello, is it a stock radio? Or an aftermarket one? The vehicle starts normally and runs ok, just an issue with the instrument cluster?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is a factory radio. Yes it starts fine and runs fine.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Ok, the door ajar concern is most likely a bad door ajar switch on one of the doors and not related to this issue. Try Banging on the dashboard above the instrument cluster and see if it starts to work, same as the radio. The instrument cluster itself may have an internal issue. The factory radios also have problems over time so to inspect, you would need to remove the radio and check for power and ground to see if it should be working. DOuble check fuses in both the underhood fuse panel and interior panel. If one is blown, that will isolate a circuit fault. if they are ok, both removing the radio and the instrument cluster would be require to test the circuits.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help with this concern?