Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

My sons 2001 sable no start, it had #107 fuse, changed

Customer Question

My sons 2001 sable no start, it had blown #107 fuse, changed it, nothing, pulled starter and had tested, cleaned all connections on starter and battery, nothing, what next?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,There are two fuse that power the starter relay, one is the #107 and the other is the F237 fuse located in the interior fuse panel. Start first with checking it to be sure its not blown as well. If both fuse check okay then we are going to need to do some testing, Are you able to do so?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can in a while, car is an hour away, can a starter test good and not show an internal short?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.
In most cases if it test good it should be okay as long as you are not still blowing any fuses. Lets start first with making sure both fuse are okay and if so , take you 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and make you key on cranking power at the starter relay on pins 87 and 85, See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference and testing. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Let check this when you ready and we can work from there.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Start%20Apr%2030.pdf
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I'll get back to you when I get there
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.
Sure thing, Im ready when you are. Take a copy of the wiring diagram with you for reference .
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.
Take look at this diagram as well for the starter relay location in the under hood fuse panel,https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Starter%20relay%20Apr%2030.pdf
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm at car now, checking fuses, so far I haven't found any
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.
Okay if the fuse check okays then check and see if you have power at the starter relay on pins 87 and 85 while holding the key in the crank position. If you do then check pin 30 to the starter for power. The ground to the relay comes from the PCM (computer) on pin 86.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here again at car, checked out power to fuses and relays OK, when key is turned only the flashing theft light is on
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.
Okay if the thesft light is flashing that that means the system is not reading the key and as the system active, when its active it will not ground the starter relay . Do you by chance have a spare key you can try.?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes. Its the same, after it blew the first time I had a locksmith come out and cut and program a new key, I'm stumped.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.
If the theft light is flashing then the system is active, if having a new key made and programmed did not solve this then the next steps in going to require having the system scanned to see what the fault code is that should be setting, if you can get this done and post back with the results I will see if I can help you get this resolved.