Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My name is***** have a recently replaced my upper

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have a recently replaced my upper intake manifold on my 1998 mercury grand Marquis. The seal cracked I replaced all spark plugs, put 50/50 antifreeze in reservoir, and boots. Still no independent start I have to put my foot on gas pedal to keep running and when I release the pedal it cuts off.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: All listed at top
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: Low miles , batt fully charged, alternator new and in good condition. Quarter tank of gas and all that I did so far located in the first conversation thread above
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here? Has fuel pressure been tested at all? Does the exhaust smell like excess fuel at all? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No smell of excess fuel. Fault codes not checked and I checked the fuel pressure from underneath the hood.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Did this running issue occur before and after the upper intake was replaced?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This issue accured before replacing the upper intake manifold
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Does it ever start to run on its own like after it runs a bit or do you have to keep feathering the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to keep feathering the gas pedal
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,if the engine coolant temp sensor was not checked for a proper temp signal this can cause this here.I have seen the engine coolant temp sensor cause this issue before with it needing replaced for this fault.It can send an incorrect reading causing this issue needing replaced.I would have this checked to see if this is the cause here for sure and then replaced from there if found to be at fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete