Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Runs rough on starting, will not stay running

Customer Question

runs rough on starting, will not stay running
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Can I get the year, make, and model and what if anything you have done so far?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2001 Mercury Sable with a 3.0 liter V6 flexfuel engine I have added a bottle of STP octane boost and three gallons of 93 octane gasoline to the existing eighth of a tank of gasoline. I also drove the car two miles to town to procure the above. The car drove fine under acceleration but would stall unless I kept pumping the gas pedal. The RPM would drop to 500 during all of the above. When stalling, the cars power steering and brakes lost power.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Moose, are you out there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can here me. Is there anyone at home?
Sorry you did not notice the hours I mentioned I work in my first response. The way you have described this is an indication that the IAC idle air control valve has failed. My suggestion so far is to remove the negative battery cable. Use brake cleaner to spray clean the MAF sensor and the brake cleaner and an old tooth brush to clean the throttle body Then replace the IAC valve. If there are no other issues like a dirty air or fuel filter, in need of new plugs, or a transaxle converter clutch issue then the repair mentioned should resolve this. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris