Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

Mercury Sable: can i bypass the pats system on my 1996 mercury

Customer Question

can i bypass the pats system on my 1996 mercury sable i lost my key
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. The answer is yes you could, but not without spending alot more money than what it would cost to fix it. Without the coded keys, the PCM will not allow fuel injector pulse, and that is why it won't start. You will need to call a mobile automotive locksmith to come out and program you some keys, I would get 2 at least while your doing it. They have the equipment needed to program the coded keys they can cut to fit your car. It's either that or tow it to the dealership. Dealership will charge more, and a mobile locksmith will come to you and do it for about the price of a tow. So it's really the best option. I wish there was a way around it, but that is why these cars hardly ever get stolen is because of this security feature. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.