Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

I have a '97 Mountaineer*****with a 5.0 engine

Customer Question

I have a '97 Mountaineer*****with a 5.0 engine with 177,000 miles that won't start. I'm not getting any spark. I've replaced the crankshaft position sensor and ran a compression check to test the timing chain. What else should I be checking?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  roybelding replied 6 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist I would suspect the module oe pick up coil in the distributor first. do you have voltage to the ignition coil??? Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't know. I didn't know this had a distributor since it had a KPS.
yep, that was the change over year. no distributor. if you have a tach on the dash, does it move up and show some rpm while cranking??? Roy
I see you have listed this again. do you want to continue with me or the other tech who answered your other post???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He never answered my question due to a payment mix up. I didn't see the tach move at all. That's why I ran the compression test to see if I lost the chain
good morning ok, then there is no signal going to the pcm. do you have a scan tool that can read live data?? Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, the code scanner I got from Autozone only showed 2 codes for lean fuel on the rails and that all of the sensors detected were ok. Following what I could from my old Haynes manual. No spark, but I do have battery power to both ignition coils. The primary resistance on one is 0.7 ohms and the other is 0.8 ohms. the secondary resistance is 13.1 Kohms on all paired cylinders. I don't have a lighted tester to check for the trigger signal but each terminal had 12 volts until cranked and then they dropped to 10 volts but the meter showed a steady reading with no fluctuations.