Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

I have a 2006 hybrid Mercury Mariner. I drove forward-o.k.,

Customer Question

I have a 2006 hybrid Mercury Mariner. I drove forward-o.k., I put in in reverse and within a few feet, I hear a loud noise around the right rear tire (like I backed into a something hard). A neighbor came out and drove it a forward without a problem. Later I got in the car to come home, I started to back up and it made the very same noise, I live nearby so I drove home and parked it. Do you have an idea?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

While backing up and this noise occurred from the RR wheel area did you also get a hesitation like the vehicle did not want to move? If so then there is likely a brake issue with the caliper, pads, mounting bracket or parking brake shoes.

Could you also feel this occur? If so then the brakes are still possible to blame but also a faulty suspension joint or bushing can be to blame.

There are some TSBs for noise concerns:

• Rear shock noise from upper mount hole to small.
  • Rear parking brake noise from rust forming inside the brake rotor.
  • Front shock noise from the dust boot binding.
  • Front stabilizer noise from end link failure.

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris