Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

We have a 2000 Mercury Marquis we charged the battery and

Customer Question

We have a 2000 Mercury Marquis we charged the battery and will not start so what
do we need to do
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 8 months ago.

When you try to start it do you have power in the car, like the gauges etc.? Also, when you turn the key to start it does it click and not crank or does it crank and not start?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It cranks and not start

Ok, are you capable of checking for fuel pressure or spark?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does not spark but we are not at the car now it is in town the battery was dead

Not able to do a phone call at this time sorry, if you don't have spark most likely you need an ignition coil.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We didn't know ignition coil's ever go out? If you have a phone # ***** could call you when we are at the car in the morning
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. I am able to take a phone call right now if your willing to do so.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Do all of the lights work with the key on? Have you checked for power down at the starter?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

If the engine is not cranking over, then we need to check for power down at the starter. If the engine is cranking but not starting, we need to check for spark and fuel pressure.