roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years of retail operations on all vehicles

Working on a 2006 Mountaineer w/ 4.6 liter. When started

Customer Question

Working on a 2006 Mountaineer w/ 4.6 liter. When started sounds like exhaust leak from the rear drivers side. Noise goes away after running a few minutes. A minute or two later you hear a squeal from the rear of the drivers side cam. Turned over with valve cover removed and can hear oil squeezing into the head and see some oil running down in front of the head, but very little or no oil toward the rear. Back of cam toward the firewall doesn't seem as oily as front. Listening with a stethoscope while running, squeal seemed to come from around #7 cylinder. Now have cams caps removed, but don't see any oil restriction so far. Not sure what to do next. ??
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What confuses you?
Customer: Hi Pearl, I'm Dave
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Engine only has about 130k miles and the oil has been changed every 3 to 4000 miles. We've had other 4.6 and 5.4,s that when went well over 200k. This is my son's vehicle and we need to fix it with minimum expense.
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  roybelding replied 7 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the first thing I would do is check the actual oil pressure. remove the oil sender unit and insert a manual gauge. that will tell us if the pump is supplying oil throughout the motor. it may be a clogged pick up screen for the pump or the pump itself.

regardless of the issue, the damage is done. running without oil back there has caused damage to the head.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll see if I can round up a gauge to check oil pressure. Should I go ahead and remove the cam to check for blockage and/or damage? Have already been shopping for new or used head, but would like to avoid it if possible. Anything else to look for?

if you remove the cam, you cannot check oil pressure as the engine has to run.

the damage is far beyond just the head.