Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I own a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer that had an "after market"

Customer Question

I own a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer that had an "after market" anti theft-auto lock part installed under the steering column. It had a button in the back that one could press to disarm the system and I always kept the system disarmed after an incident when my dogs got auto-locked in the car with the keys in the ignition! While away on vacation for some reason the auto lock re-armed itself and I found that the button at the back was missing and not to be found. So now I cannot turn off the auto-lock and it drives me crazy! I get out of the car for a few seconds and the car locks behind me. It causes me lots of headaches. Ford does not make this part. Can you tell me what can be done to disarm it and if I need the part what is it officially called and where can I find it?Many thanks,***** ********@******.***
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Did I give you enough information?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

The best case in this scenario is just to remove this aftermarket system from the vehicle. If you are limber and can do wiring repairs it will not take to long to lay under the drivers side of the dash removing this system and mending the wires it is spliced into.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris