Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

My name is ***** *****, I have a 99 Ford cougar, with a no

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, I have a 99 Ford cougar, with a no crank issue, I have no power to the signal wire on the starter when I turn the key,but if I jump 12 volts to it the car turns over but does not start. The pats light stays on, when the key is in on position. Al fuses/ relays are good. What am I missing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This all happens after the Bty died, I boosted it, but when I hit the key it would just keep clicking. So I held the key to start for about ten seconds. The clicking stopped and I have nothing now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

The PATS light staying on means the anti-theft system is active. It should disarm with an original key or remote fob. However, if an original key or remote is not available or if the system won't disarm at all, then the PATS needs to be diagnosed by either an authorized Ford repair facility or a licensed locksmith.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that light has been like that for years.. When I scan the pats with my snap on solus scanner nothing comes up, so I do not believe it is pats

I'm not familiar with snap on solus, but as far as I know PATS communicates only with NGS.

In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to check the starting circuit and find out whether PATS is or not the culprit. Would you like me to upload the starting circuit diagram so we can both follow along? If so, what engine is in that Cougar, 4 or V6? Auto or stick?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would 2.5l v6 manual

OK. I've attached the circuit diagram plus the relay box lay out showing the starter diode and the relay. Please let me know when you're ready.

Did I loose you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm ready, I have no power at the diode,

OK, but we don't need to check the diode just yet. First, let's eliminate PATS as the culprit.

Remove the starter relay and check for ground at relay socket terminal 86 with the clutch pedal pressed in and the ignition switch turned to START. If no ground, check both Black/Green or Black/Yellow wires at the start inhibit switch on the clutch pedal bracket. If no ground, either PATS is on, or the wire is broken between the computer and the inhibitor switch, or the onboard computer is bad.

If PATS is on, the starter relay can be manually grounded, but the computer will not supply fuel or spark to the engine.

If there is ground at starter relay terminal 86, then we need to check the power side of the circuit, which is not affected by PATS.

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having trouble finding terminal 86? I assume it's the one I pulled the starter relay out of? Also the start switch at the clutch has two wires black and black yellow stripe

One way to find socket terminal 86 is looking at the numbers by each terminal blade on the relay; another way to check if there is ground is to check all the relay socket terminals with the clutch pedal pressed in and the ignition switch turned to START, two of the socket terminals should have voltage, one should be open (no ground or power) and one ground.

Regarding the switch at the clutch; it is an interrupter, both wires should be the same color as they are parts of the same circuit. One of the wires should have ground with the ignition switch turned to START, then both wires should have ground when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

Here is the relay pin-out - being that Mazda had a hand on the design of the vehicle, ground could be either on 85 or 86

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay all the blades on the relays are numbered 1,2,3,4,5 and I have I do have ground at that relay with the key and clutch in start position

Good. How about power, do you have power at relay terminals 2 and 3 with ignition turned to START?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power the those as well,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have a code (antitheft # ***** programmed keys min)

What compelled you to jump from testing powers and grounds to scanning for codes? Is there ground at relay terminal 1 or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power at 1 and 3 ground at 2, I was just killing time wiAting, when I ground #5 I could turn the car over with the key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power at 85,30 ground at 86 and if I ground out 57 I can turn the car over with the key

You told me the relay pins were numbered 1 through 5, so let's keep that criteria, as it matches what's on the diagram. Power at terminal 1 with switches on START means the onboard computer is not grounding the starter relay because PATS is telling it the car is being stolen.

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any other information that could help you at this time. I’ll opt out so others may try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.

Best Regards.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service to you, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased with my assistance and will rate me Good or Excellent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris