Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mercury Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mercury Diagnostics

2009 Mercury Mountaineer RSC Service Now is lit with symbol

Customer Question

2009 Mercury Mountaineer RSC Service Now is lit with symbol for car and wheel shown in yellow
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: (ABS) and car symbol with irrratic tire lines.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No
JA: OK! The Mercury Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

The Roll Stability Control (RSC) system utilizes the same components as the ABS and the traction control systems and also monitors the steering wheel rotation sensor and the stability control sensor cluster to assist in stabilizing the vehicle during abrupt maneuvers. So when there is a problem in either system, this will trigger both dash lights which turns these systems off. There are literally dozens pf parts and sensors shared by these systems, so unfortunately, there is no 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer here. At this point the Diagnostic Trouble Codes will need to be scanned from the on-board computer. These trouble codes will point to the part or sensor that is showing a fault and from there, the correct diagnosis and repair can be made. SOME local parts stores have the correct scan-tool to read thes trouble codes, and will do so for FREE right in their parking lot (except in California). If you cannot find a local store with the correct scan-tool, then a shop will be needed. In the meantime, it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. Only drawback here is the added safety of ABS and Roll Control. So just be a little more cautious in bad weather. Sorry I could not be more exact here, but again, like I say, there are just too many different possible causes to take a guess and be correct. Hopefully I've given you a little insight into the problem. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.