Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

I have a 2000 Mercury Cougar 2.5L we just did an engine swap

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mercury Cougar 2.5L we just did an engine swap 2.5 to 2.5 and same year engine. Connected everything and now nothing happens when turning the key. All lights on the dash come on. But when we turn the key... Nothing, I bypassed the starter relay and got the starter to crank the engine but no start. I changed the relay and still nothing. Could it be the PATS key? Or the wire from the fuse box by the battery to the starter solenoid? I am lost.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Did you check the plug at the transmission neutral safety switch? make sure it's plugged in, if it is, try it in park, or better yet, hold it in start and pull the gear stick through the range, Let me know what happens there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tried all that. Tried starting in park and neutral
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Alright, when you turn the key to the ON position, does the security light go out? or does it stay lit or blink on the instrument cluster?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The light continues to blink. Every 2 seconds it flashes... No key, key in and while key is in start position
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

OK, With the key ON, it should go out, if it continues to flash, that is a problem. Unhook the battery neg. cable, and wait 5 minutes, reinstall the negative bat. cable, and close all the doors and trunk and hood. Then put the key in the drivers door and lock and unlock the drivers door a times. Let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It is still doing the same thing
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Alright, do you have a scanner by chance? code reader? if so, have you checked codes in it? to see if it was setting anything?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I wish I did.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

I gotcha, a spare key? is there a spare key somewhere?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope, no spare key either, we bought the car two weeks ago for $600 with a bad motor for our son who just turned 16. Got a $300 motor from the junkyard that I heard running. Pulled the old motor and dropped this one in this weekend and now nothing.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

I follow you, Only thing I can suggest at this point, is maybe borrowing a scanner from a local auto parts store. They usually have one they loan out for a deposit that you get back when you bring it back. But it really needs to check codes in the PATS system. I definitely believe it is security related though as the light blinks the whole time the key is on. A mobile locksmith can come out and program and cut you another key for not too much. That may fix it. Hard for me to say exactly what would be wrong without fault tracing it with a scanner however. If you call a mobile locksmith, they will come out to you, and likely tell you what is wrong with it as they have the equipment to scan for codes and program keys. That's probably what I would do if it was mine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.