Mike V.
Mike V., Automotive Technician
Experience:  25 years experience witth all makes, Nissan and Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Ok. I started the car up this morning. I am driving and out

Customer Question

ok. I started the car up this morning. I am driving and out of the blue the check engine light started to flash off and on. The car starts to like putt putt misfire and shakes it did this for 3 minutes and the check engine light is no longer on the car stops vibrating and the car stops misfiring it drives good for the rest of the day. I think it is possess?!
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

HI there,

Does this only happen at the first start of the day after the car sits all night?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well actually it just started doing this weirdness. FYI i just got this minivan. The van has been sitting for three years I got the cam shaft replaced/sensor as well as the spark plugs. Could this have something to do with the recent work I got done on the van? what do you suggest me taking it back to the shop and letting the guy know what is going on? Thank you for your help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

It's a misfire. Possibly a coil or plug wire. I would take it back and have it checked. Sometimes you will have this issue when it's damp out, then as the engine runs and dries out the misfire stops. They will likely spray some water on the ignition system and check it for arcing. This is what causes the misfire, once the coil or plug wires are replaced the issue will be resolved. The flashing check engine light is usually the giveaway to an ignition issue.