Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I have a Mercury Grand ***** ***** (2001) with about 49,000

Customer Question

i have a Mercury Grand ***** ***** (2001) with about 49,000 miles. Out of the blue it won't not start. It would sound like it's trying but would not turnover.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Then I would start it again in 30 minutes and it would start like normal and no problems. We took it to a mechanic and they said it started very time and then we took it home and two days later again and then started the next morning
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. So the car will crank but not start?
  2. After a wait time around 30 minutes it will start?
  3. Does this issue occur when the engine is hot or warm or when the engine is cold?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. yes 2. sometimes or a day later. 3. all weather conditions and it does not matter if the engine is hot or cold.
Also the mechanic said if it was the fuel pump it won't not start at all. They said they can only diagnose it better if
the car does not start for them.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They checked the battery and alternator and said they look fine.

Thanks, ***** ***** with part of your mechanics statement but not all of it.

Are you able to perform any diag yourself?

It would help if we could do some diag during this downtime to find out at least what is working right and in hopes to find out what is not so we can focus on one system of the car.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. The car is actually at the mechanic checking periodically if it won't start.
Could it be a wire issue?

It can be a wire issue, but it can be hundreds of possible other causes as well. Which is why we need to be able to perform some sort of diag.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But if the car does start how can we even diagnose it?
We recently called them and it has been starting every time.
When we get the car back what would you suggest we start first?

The diag has to be done when it will crank but not start. The first test would be to check the fuel pressure with the key on. It needs to be 30psi or more. If that is good then we would check for spark and injector pulse. One of these 3 are missing.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We will try that and get back to you.
Thanks.

Super

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no way we can check the fuel pressure.

Since your not able to do the tests needed. What information from me would make you pleased with my help?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We don't know how to check the fuel pressure. The car started today. It just keeps happening intermittently. STS feels if it was the fuel pump it would not start at all. They do not want to put parts in if its not necessary. We are also were wandering if it could be the starter or the ignition switch. Not sure what to do. A fuel pump would be expensive and we are not sure if that is it.

If the engine will crank then the ignition switch and starter are working.

Since your not able to perform any diagnostics to figure this out. What information from me would make you pleased with my help so we can get this concern closed and resolved.