A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

All of a sudden my door locks and truck release button

Customer Question

All of a sudden my door locks and truck release button stopped working today and I have check both fuses under the dash and hood and they are good. Now what do I do to fix my 2000 Grand ***** *****?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The remote key fob worked when I got into the car this morning. Then when I got to my destination. nothing I did would get the locks to work. Everything else works fine. I even check the fuses and replace the battery in the fob. I still can't lock the car without using the key and that goes for the trunk too.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 months ago.

The wiring for the power door locks and the trunk release switch all go through the drivers door and through the DDM (Drivers Door Module). The most common problem we have seen are broken wires in the drivers door jamb where the wiring runs from the body to the drivers door. There is a rubber boot covering the wiring by the door hinges on the drivers door. Pull the rubber boot away from the door and pull on each wire to find the broken wire. Then we add about 3 to 4 inches spliced into the broken wire to reconnect it to the other broken end.