Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Mercury Technician
Experience:  36yrs.in Auto Industry, Aamco Trans.Master..
17290852

It has an intermittent rough idle. might go a few days, then

Customer Question

it has an intermittent rough idle. might go a few days, then it will do it once or twice, then not again for a few days. changed o2 sensors, no difference. Also, blew head gasket prior to this problem. Mechanic fixed head gasket. Now intermittent rough idle. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. It's my son's "baby". Someone suggested a "ghost" electrical issue.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New ignition module, distributer components, plugs, o2 sensors, checked vacuum lines. I might beforgetting a few things. He and the car are 400 miles away, at college.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: Well, just that it is so variable. It runs great, then at a stop light it sputters and almost dies. He has adjusted the timing, the block was checked for cracks and planed done. All adjustments at re-assembly were done to factory specs. New radiator and water pump also.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 9 months ago.

ok, he should clean the under side butterflies in the throttle bottle & ad fuel injection cleaner 2 cans in gas tank 1 tank of high test gas....should run fine thanks joey..... please rate my answer take care