Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

06 mercury grand marquis. Replaced throdle positioning

Customer Question

06 mercury grand marquis. Replaced throdle positioning sensor
Car won't start
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine crank over but not start? Or does it not crank over at all? Are there any codes in the computer?. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The engine cranks but won't start.
The engine cranks just fine try to start, fires maybe once or twice, then dies.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Ok, does the check engine light come on with the key on? Does it go off while cranking? Does the engine run on starting fluid? Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do not want to switch to phone.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Engine light was on before and now even when cranking .I'm not a Machanic that why I called you. I'm by myself ,squirted carb. In those body then hit the starter. Seem to want to run a little more.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Ok, if it runs on starting fluid, then you might just have a bad fuel pump.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

This vehicle also use a fuel pump driver module which controls the fuel pump. This too may be bad.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Another possible cause is a bad mass air flow sensor. The computer uses the signal from the MAF sensor for injector pulse width. If this sensor is bad, of it is left loose or even if the air intake snorkle is cracked or left loose, then the engine may not start. It may start and stall or cause a severe lean condition.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just changed the fuel pump& assembly.
Can her fuel pump runing. Guess I 'll try replacing MAF.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

I would be sure to check the fuel pressure just to be sure. Also, make sure there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

In addition, if you want to take it a step further, you can check injector pulse using a noid light.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I 'll let you know if replacing MAF doesn't work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Sounds good! Dont forget to check the other things I mentioned. Good luck and will talk to you soon. Have a good night.