Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

06 mercury grand marquis. Replaced throdle positioning

Customer Question

06 mercury grand marquis. Replaced throdle positioning sensor
Car won't start
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine crank over but not start? Or does it not crank over at all? Are there any codes in the computer?. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine cranks but won't start.
The engine cranks just fine try to start, fires maybe once or twice, then dies.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, does the check engine light come on with the key on? Does it go off while cranking? Does the engine run on starting fluid? Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not want to switch to phone.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine light was on before and now even when cranking .I'm not a Machanic that why I called you. I'm by myself ,squirted carb. In those body then hit the starter. Seem to want to run a little more.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if it runs on starting fluid, then you might just have a bad fuel pump.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

This vehicle also use a fuel pump driver module which controls the fuel pump. This too may be bad.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Another possible cause is a bad mass air flow sensor. The computer uses the signal from the MAF sensor for injector pulse width. If this sensor is bad, of it is left loose or even if the air intake snorkle is cracked or left loose, then the engine may not start. It may start and stall or cause a severe lean condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just changed the fuel pump& assembly.
Can her fuel pump runing. Guess I 'll try replacing MAF.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I would be sure to check the fuel pressure just to be sure. Also, make sure there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

In addition, if you want to take it a step further, you can check injector pulse using a noid light.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I 'll let you know if replacing MAF doesn't work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good! Dont forget to check the other things I mentioned. Good luck and will talk to you soon. Have a good night.